Finished 10 FET deck

Post your photos here and write-ups you may have

Finished 10 FET deck

Postby Brent » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:21 pm

Brent
PT Cruiser Tina

Finished 10 FET Deck

Postby Todd WD4NGG » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:39 am

Nice pictures Brent. Looks like a nice job. 73 Todd WD4NGG.
Todd WD4NGG

Postby VE7KHz » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:30 am

Hi Brent,

How much key down P out are you getting with this configuration?

Cheers

Paul
I used to keep an open mind.......but my brain kept falling out.
VE7KHz

Re: Finished 10 FET deck

Postby Glenn K2KL » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Hi Brent, good to hook up with you again on 75 last night. I gotta get my butt in gear and at least start the RF deck...., What's the advantage of running 10 FET's ? I realize you get a bit more power out, but not enough to effect that much of a change in signal strength at the receiving end when compared to the original 6 FET deck, right?

Glenn

Brent wrote:http://home.comcast.net/~w1ia/

73 Brent
Glenn K2KL
Glenn K2KL

10 FET

Postby Brent » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:17 pm

The advantages are very real..the second-order harmonic suppression approaches 110 db down compared to the 6 fet due to the fact that it becomes a psuedo push-pull design (single-ended balanced output). One bank of 5 fets conducts while the other is charging. What you end up with is a sine wave verses a single pulse.

With the addition of the transorbs on the drains and gates the safety protection of the fets is improved. The transorbs remove voltage spikes that might otherwise damage the fets. It can save you from major crap outs if you have to much drive on the gates or a parasitic develops,; it will give you a chance at shut down verses spending time on the bench replacing 3 legged spiders.

The reality of it the 6 fet deck puts out about the same power....10 fet just a better design overall....Thanks to QIX for his design and research.

73 Brent
Brent
PT Cruiser Tina

Postby frank carcia » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:16 pm

Very good Brent. Now all you have to do is throw away one of those driver transformers and put 2 secondaries on the other. Sounds good and your leads are getting shorter. gfz
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

Re: 10 FET

Postby Glenn K2KL » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:50 am

Hi Brent;

Ok! you convinced me!, where can I get a copy of the latest schematic for the 10 fet deck? I'll start on it right away!,

Brent wrote:The advantages are very real..the second-order harmonic suppression approaches 110 db down compared to the 6 fet due to the fact that it becomes a psuedo push-pull design (single-ended balanced output). One bank of 5 fets conducts while the other is charging. What you end up with is a sine wave verses a single pulse.

With the addition of the transorbs on the drains and gates the safety protection of the fets is improved. The transorbs remove voltage spikes that might otherwise damage the fets. It can save you from major crap outs if you have to much drive on the gates or a parasitic develops,; it will give you a chance at shut down verses spending time on the bench replacing 3 legged spiders.

The reality of it the 6 fet deck puts out about the same power....10 fet just a better design overall....Thanks to QIX for his design and research.

73 Brent
Glenn K2KL
Glenn K2KL

Return to Your Photos and Articles