More heatsinks

where to get parts for building your own transmitter.

More heatsinks

Postby N9NEO » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:09 am

My boss is scrapping out 30 black anodized heatsinks. 7.75"x7.75"x2.75"fins. Looks like about 25fins. Spacing is probably a little tight for natural convection, but will do 100-150w with a 40c rise-no fan.

I will do some thermal modeling next week to get exact Rtheta number.

Problem is I am getting house ready to sell and can't store a bunch of large heatsinks. I've just carted home 4 large boxes of bus caps that I have to get rid of. Wife will shoot me if I bring home 30 heatsinks.

So sinks on way to scrap pile if you don't want.

Bob
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Postby frank carcia » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:28 am

Bob,
I'll take a bunch of them. The new basement will need ballast soon so it doesn't float across the street. Sounds like a lot of surface area for 100 watts. fc
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

Postby ke1gf » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:06 pm

Bob I grab a couple, how many are you willing to part with? I promise, I'll give them a good home!

-'GF
ke1gf
Young Brainiac

Postby N9NEO » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Bill,

Hope your grandpa had a nice day yesterday. I wish I had been able to spend more time with my grandparents. We lived far away. Now my parents live far awqay, so I suppose I one day I will lament the time I never spent with them. Trying to keep my daughters in New England. Get em grown and married off to New Englanders. So spend an extra minute with him when you get the chance.

I am willing to part with all of them if they in fact materialize. Guy asked me if I wanted some very nice Fairchild fets, but they decided to sell em on grey market. Anyway sinks would be impossible to sell there. So we can probably scarf them. Gary was looking for some sinks a few weeks back, but i think his requirements were different.

As far as what they will do, Frank is probably right. Fins a little close together as I had said. I push about 500w into em with a pair of 60mm fans. I'll run the numbers next week for natural convection. If you could give me idea of how many fets and power of each and relative position I can nail down to a few degrees.

I sent out 600 bus caps to all corners of this great nation this morning. I think I got another 100 to get rid of. Come on over when sinks get here and have your way with my parts bins.

Can only deliver 2 at a time to Frank. One in each saddlebag. Looking forward to a trip down his way. Looks like a nice watering hole at the end of his street.

Bob
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Postby frank carcia » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:04 am

Bob,
You are welcome any time. I'm up to my eyeballs in work but at least we
are out of the hole and in the air. Yes the joint at the end of the street is a local party spot. The heat sinks sound like a lot of surface area. I start collecting parts for winter projects during the summer. cu
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

thermal model

Postby N9NEO » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:46 pm

I placed 5 fets at 20w per across the sink. 150w total. Max temp 66c (under middle fet) in 20c ambient.

NEO-later
Bob
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

that was 5 x 20

Postby N9NEO » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:49 pm

= 100

NEO-later
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Heatsinks here.

Postby N9NEO » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:12 pm

I have 30 sinks stacked up in garage. I have pdf file if you want to see what they look like.

Steve, Frank, and Bill have spoken for some, and I think there was a JJ request as well. Anyone else?

If you want, just pvt msg or Email me. Yzordderrex@verizon.net Sinks are free, you pay shipping.

If not all gone in a week I will be forced to melt them into little pellets for my plasma launcher.

NEO-Later
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Return to Parts and Sources