Testing my modulator

Welcome and feel free to ask questions about class E, mosfet's, and AM.
You must be registered to post.

Testing my modulator

Postby Bronek M0DAF » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:22 pm

I have just completed my PWM modulator using Steve's boards. Before applying HT I thought I would check whether all seemed OK with just the LT supplies. The PWM board is all fine, and the overload board does what it should in the initial set up condition. However, with the modulator on standby (with LT supplies to the two boards and to the output section on) I find that I get 16.8 V on the output from the PWM filter (with no load). Is this OK? I am a little nervous about applying the HT to the MOSFETS unless all is OK. Your advice would be welome.

Thank you

With best wishes

Bronek (M0DAF)
Bronek M0DAF

Re: Testing my modulator

Postby kf1z » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am

Yes, that is normal.

Another test is to short the output to ground.
This allows the charge-pump to operate.

DO NOT APPLY HIGH VOLTAGE !!!!!!!!!!

Now you can test for proper PWM signals at the gates of the mosfets, and see that the carrier control on the PWM board adjusts
the pulse-width as it should.

After you're done, leave the carrier control at very low setting, for initial test with HV applied.

Good idea to pre-set the overload board as in instructions before testing with HV applied.

Bruce
kf1z
kf1z
Senior Contributer

Re: Testing my modulator

Postby Bronek M0DAF » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:27 am

Dear Bruce,

Many thanks for your advice. I did, in fact, discover some of this myself by placing a small 4.7 ohm resistor across the output. At the moment the whole thing is on a soak test.

Time to get the RF deck completed!

With best wishes

Bronek M0DAF
Bronek M0DAF

Return to Class E Discussion