Class H mod test ?

Welcome and feel free to ask questions about class E, mosfet's, and AM.
You must be registered to post.

Class H mod test ?

Postby wa2onk » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:00 pm

Greetings

This is my first post, so be gentle. I just completed a class H modulator using KD1J boards. It's all packaged, metered and ready to go, I think. I haven't started on the rf deck, I'm still gathering stuff for that.
I wanted to at least test the modulator before hand. I was going to place a resistor as a load and modulate it, and check to see if I see varying dc across the load resistor. Is this a valid test for just the mod ?
Open for any suggestions

Chuck wa2onk
wa2onk

Re: Class H mod test ?

Postby Brent » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 pm

wa2onk wrote:Greetings

This is my first post, so be gentle. I just completed a class H modulator using KD1J boards. It's all packaged, metered and ready to go, I think. I haven't started on the rf deck, I'm still gathering stuff for that.
I wanted to at least test the modulator before hand. I was going to place a resistor as a load and modulate it, and check to see if I see varying dc across the load resistor. Is this a valid test for just the mod ?
Open for any suggestions

Chuck wa2onk

You can do that Chuck....just run the power supply on a variac if you can, or if you have split the primary for tune just run it in tune position. Your going to need a 150 watt flood lamp or a hefty power resistor at about 9 ohms or so. You can test the board without B+ on the Ifrp260's. Just hook up a scope to the balanced outputs on the board (going to the 260's) and use an audio generator on the mic input....you should see sine wave on the scope. P.s. don't ground the scope probe to chassis. reference to the floating ground return on the plus minus 12volt floating supply.

Good Luck

Brent W1IA
Brent
PT Cruiser Tina

Yea ok

Postby N9NEO » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Chuck

used a burner off a stove one time and cooked up a pot of water. Then I made some modulator eggs too.

Almost any kinda appliance that has a dc load might work for ya. Big resistors hard to get sometimes.

NEO

Hi Brent. Working on an old HX50 Should be radioactive soon. You still got about the best signal coming into Uxbridge. Bill too. Catcha later.
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Return to Class E Discussion