PCS Electronics AM xmtr as exciter?

Welcome and feel free to ask questions about class E, mosfet's, and AM.
You must be registered to post.

PCS Electronics AM xmtr as exciter?

Postby W3CRR » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:35 am

Has anyone used a PCS Electronics AM Max II DSP transmitter http://www.pcs-electronics.com/en/produ ... ansmitters
as an exciter for a Class E amp?

Also, are there any "Class Eers" in the Washngton, DC area?

Many thanks and 73,

Craig
W3CRR
W3CRR

Postby ke1gf » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:57 am

I don't know anybody that has. Most people use their 100W rice-box in AM/CW split mode or maybe just as a driver mule. I personally designed my own synth and driver for my rig... Even my 1 Watt PW has it's own VFO too.

Class-E amplifiers in their native state are non-linear amps, so if you want to produce an AM signal you drive the transistors with a sine or trapazoidal waveform into saturation (switch mode) and then high-level modulate the amp with PWM, or some other form of Series or Shunt analog modulator...

I think there is a commerially produced Class-E "linear" amplifier for the ham bands that I saw in the back of QST, it uses (Envelope Elimination and Restoration) EER. It's a single band amp with plug-in modules... This isn't a native class-E amplifier, it has lots of magic wrapped around it to make it act as a linear. Really its more of a machine than a linear in a conventional sense .
ke1gf
Young Brainiac

Return to Class E Discussion