N9NEO Phase rig

Welcome and feel free to ask questions about class E, mosfet's, and AM.
You must be registered to post.

N9NEO Phase rig

Postby frank carcia » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:09 am

N9NEO makes AM with his phase modulated rig on 1945 last night.
Look Ma, no modulator!
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

Postby ke1gf » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 am

hrmmmm frank sounds interesting, what kind of phasing rig I/Q? or just some outphasing with a PLL?

Here's a nice 1kw PEP outphasing rig for 75M:

ke1gf
Young Brainiac

Postby frank carcia » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:08 am

Bill,
You showed me that one at Hostraders. Cool stuff. I just got a picture of a 500 watt final output linear for 6 meters using IRF510s at 40 volts.
I'll mail it to you and Bob. The guy did a beautiful job.
Makes me want to throw some positive bias on my 75 Meter rig and see what it would do in AB1 mode. He did two finals 16 IRF510 push pull parallel. Mechanical work is beautiful. Yup allen cap screws so passes
the cool test.
You will have to ask Bob which configuration he was running. fc
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

Hey Bill

Postby N9NEO » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 pm

Hey Bill,

Is I/Q like DQ?

The thing only uses one tank circuit strapped across an H-Bridge. Very similar in design to that great sounding NEO-later I designed last year. The controller is simple and uses only 2 comparators and a pair of flip-flops. I'm a keep it simple sorta guy and would have probably done very well as a pre-historic caveman.

I am told it sounded great by guy who lives across town. Was running audio wide open on a D104. I was running 1 watt carrier. I cranked it up to 4watts and worked Frank. Also worked Dirk -WA2CYT - up on Canada border with 4 watts. With 4 watts the thing was on the verge of exploding. I think I got rf getting into controller. Need to add a ground plane.

I call the thing the N9*NEOphyte, and I'll post some pics of rig under the PW section on AM phone maybe tonight.

I'm hoping that we can sell the patent and get rich off of the design. I've run across a used Sikorski S92 that I need to get.

Bob
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Postby frank carcia » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:18 pm

S92 I got connections if you want one. UH60 would be more fun with a gun and a pair of M299s with 8 hellfires to clear the road.
frank carcia
Senior Contributer

Postby ke1gf » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:21 am

Bob? Allice?

Um, that outphasing rig was designed and built by Gnorm.

Have you seen my PW? Totem-Pole Driving a PI-L outpoot network, Single class-A modulator... 1 watt carrier at a strapping 11% efficiency, 4 FETs. 14V PS... ultra modulation fo 75M. I'm planning on having a steak n' cheese sub for lunch.

I gave the guys on AMFONE the cold sholder when asking for schematics, it's my new policy to hide my incompetence.

NEO, you should build up a 1Watt PW and get on the casual 75M PW nets on the weekend if you have time bout 3:30pm till the slopbuckets get on. it has to be a "complete" rig OSC, PS, Modulator, RF-PA. I can coin you OPWO "Official Piss Weak Operator", I have the power vested in me.

BTW, most 75M QSO's in the window are quick on the trigger power/antenna/audio pissing matches these days, I've gotta get my 160 act together. I've retarded to chatting on the internet mostly.

I've been meaning to ask you there NEO, did you ever sucessfully drive your FETs with those little cores at 4MHz? last thing you said to me was tat da "leakage inductance was giving you problems" I would like to do something similar on my PW to see if I can get the final to obey square law power. I'm modulating the drive right now and its almost as bad as some of these tube rigs on 75. If so can I stop by to nick you for some of them and whatever else isn't bolted down?

-Ahmed
ke1gf
Young Brainiac

Postby ke1gf » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:51 pm

frank carcia wrote:Bill,
You showed me that one at Hostraders. Cool stuff. I just got a picture of a 500 watt final output linear for 6 meters using IRF510s at 40 volts.
I'll mail it to you and Bob. The guy did a beautiful job.
Makes me want to throw some positive bias on my 75 Meter rig and see what it would do in AB1 mode. He did two finals 16 IRF510 push pull parallel. Mechanical work is beautiful. Yup allen cap screws so passes
the cool test.
You will have to ask Bob which configuration he was running. fc

Frank, Dad has a lot of fun on 6M, even I got on .150 and worked Tom Vu and others. I was trashing gramp's TV and probably others in the hood. Maybe when I get out of pre-school I'll be able to move someplace where I don't have to worry about getting into people's stuff and build a big maul.

-Bill
ke1gf
Young Brainiac

Postby N9NEO » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:38 pm

Hey Bill,

Ok on Norm's rig. Looks very nice. I met up with him as I was walking out of Boxborough last year and had a quick chat with him. He had tried running it class E, then just resonant tuned. I think maybe like the RCA method, but not 100% sure. I'll bet it sounds very good. Hope he gets tank efficiency probs that Steve spoke of worked out.

The rig I put together uses full-bridge with a tank circuit. Frank, Art, Tomm and I have been throwing ideas around for almost a year. Tomm out on left coast has a big monster with some slick gate drivers. An interesting thing about the full bridge way is that the transfer function between the phase angle and the output looks an awful lot like an exponential capacitor charging waveform. I actually used an exponential ramp rather than a triangle and got smoking good audio report without any other linearization or even feedback. If you've read the thread I posted about feedforward then that is what I would like to try next.

Rig is not without it's problems. This is by no means turn-key. 60Hz in audio, RF in audio, carrier cutting out, very manual t/r switching option, fm as well as am, and the list goes on and on. Some meat with them potatos.

Cores I used were CWS Bytemark B202-73 units. AL about 8uh/turn. You only need one turn primary for 75m. I only have one left, but am going to order some more tomorrow. I'll get a bunch. If you look at pic of the N9NEOphyte you will see the binocular core to the left of the mech pencil. It is connected to a fet with some yellow wire.

I'll throw a pw rig together for 75m sometime. I'm thinking to do it with a bunch of 3904 transistors. Class A modulator is easy. Maybe a rock to tune it.

Bob
N9NEO
Class E Enthusiast

Return to Class E Discussion